And then I explained to him how naive we were, that the world did know and remain silent. And that is why I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere. When human lives are endangered, when human dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Wherever men or women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must — at that moment — become the center of the universe.
- 'White supremacists created Donald Trump's anti-Semitic Hillary Clinton graphic'
- "A young mother from Sweden was told to “fuck off back to your own country” after she was heard speaking Swedish to her children in York in the north-east of England."
- 'UN urges UK to end xenophobic attacks after Brexit vote'
- 'Belfast nurse told 'You from the EU? F*** off back to your country' during night out in city'
- 'Concern expressed over ‘racist’ attack on Cork Muslim'
- 'Blind Afghan man attacked at home in Clondalkin'
Enough of the grimdark current affairs and on to the ephemera. From the surprising 'wearables I was all ready to sneer at but which might actually be pretty cool' department comes the Basslet, a subwoofer for your wrist. Wub wub wub will never be the same again.
Yours etc., @loughlin
Think you know someone who might like to receive more emails like this? Then forward this one on to them so they can read the words below.
Hey! Want to be part of something hip and retro like a mailing list? Of course you do? Then head on over here to subscribe. I promise not to spam you or sell your email address to Facebook. Or Google. Or Twitter. Or anyone else at all.
Follow @WantYouToKnowHQ on Twitter for more bits and bobs.